Monday, October 28, 2013

Micro what?

Recently I saw an article entitled "Micro-Targeting Students".  It's a great concept, but the words don't really fit the idea.  Targeting sounds like we are going to shot them.  In the article, the author Ry Rivard even talks about how "recruiters are under the gun".   Maybe my trip to Disney has clouded my brain, but I think there are more positive ways we can invite students to come to our colleges and meet their needs.

I would propose something like "micro-connecting".  Basically, the underlying principle here is about the importance of connecting through the powerful data that recruiters can now access.  Along with making the connections is the opportunity to explore the idea of fit and how to set students up for success.  This data is currently being used by some in an ethically, but hopefully, the positive focus will prevail resulting in a win-win for institutions, and more importantly, for students.


No comments:

Post a Comment